Through Clarion Housing, we offer Shared Ownership homes, a part buy part rent government backed scheme aimed at helping first time buyers onto the property ladder, who otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford a property on the open market. We offer a variety of properties including contemporary urban apartments to family homes that suit all buyers.
Through Shared Ownership, you can buy a share of between 25% and 75% of the property’s value and pay a subsidised rent on the remaining share. A key advantage is that, as part-owner, you have a security of tenure that renting cannot offer. Over time, you can buy more of the property until you own 100%, this is called ‘Staircasing’ (unless otherwise stated in your lease).
You will need a small deposit at the outset – generally a minimum of 5% of your share, subject to conditions – and you will need to raise a mortgage on the rest of the sum required. You will also be charged a service charge and ground rent for your home, normally paid on a monthly basis.
Are you eligible for Shared Ownership?
To be eligible for Shared Ownership you will need to meet certain criteria set by the Local Authority, this can vary for each scheme.
You could be eligible for Shared Ownership if:
- You are at least 18 years old.
- You cannot afford to buy a home suitable for your needs on the open market. You will need sufficient savings for a mortgage deposit and a clean credit history to qualify for a mortgage.
- You meet the income criteria as set out below:
- London - 1, 2 & 3 bedroom - income less than £90,000 Outside
- London - 1, 2 & 3 bedroom - income less than £80,000
- In many cases, you must be able to demonstrate a connection to the local area of the development.
- You must not have any outstanding credit issues (i.e. unsatisfied defaults or county court judgments).
- You must be a first-time buyer. If you already own a home and need to move but cannot afford to, or you have equity from a recent sale, please contact us, as there are some circumstances under which you may still be eligible.
Please note the minimum incomes and eligibility criteria may vary for each scheme.
How to apply
Contact us to discuss what options are available to you and find out what the next steps are.
If we think you may be eligible, you will be asked to have a free financial assessment with a Shared Ownership mortgage specialist to find out what share you can afford to buy. You will also be asked to complete an application form with the local Help to Buy agent. Sometimes you may need to be registered with your Local Authority. Specific criteria will be detailed on the information for each property.
Clarion has over 100 years of experience in developing new homes. This means we know how to deliver small and large developments that boast impressive specification with sustainable design at the core of all of our developments.
Search for Shared Ownership properties
Our Shared Ownership homes are offered through Clarion Housing, and we are working on a new property website to showcase our available homes. In the meantime please visit Share to Buy, the leading Shared Ownership property portal, to view and for more information on our available homes.
Clarion properties on Share to Buy