Strategic land planning and development
We have a specialist land team that works with landowners, agents, local authorities and developers to buy land and deliver new homes.
Latimer operates across England. We have a particular focus on London, the south east, east of England, the north west, West Midlands, Yorkshire, and the M62 corridor. Teams in each region provide local knowledge and expertise.
We work with partners who share our commitment to placemaking, quality and sustainability. Our partners and those we buy land from are able to cover off their development and affordable housing needs in one place.
Our joint venture partners include:
- Bellway Homes
- Countryside Properties
- Hadley Property Group
- Lovell Partnerships
- Vistry Partnerships.
Developing land at scale
new homes built in 2020-21
new homes in the pipeline
joint ventures underway
Providing affordable housing
Latimer develops a range of schemes, from those for private sale through to developments including a mixture of tenures such as shared ownership, social and affordable rent, build-to-rent and student accommodation.We’re buying land for immediate development as well as sites that we can build on in the longer term. We're interested in any opportunities which will deliver more than 100 homes. We buy land for small and large developments, from low density housing in rural areas to high density apartments in towns and cities.
Our mission is to provide homes for those who need them most.
Latimer is a partner of choice for a growing number of major builders and developers, who recognise that we offer certainty and stability.
We’re fully funded, with in-house development expertise. Our track record of providing affordable housing stretches back more than a century. That’s because we are part of the Clarion Housing Group - the country’s largest social landlord and a strategic partner of Homes England.
With an annual turnover of £1,059m and an operating surplus of £303m in 2021-22, Clarion has strong financial foundations.
Use this interactive map to explore our homes, new developments, and regeneration schemes across the country.
- Clarion Housing Group provides homes for 350,000 people
- We have a presence in 170 local authorities in England
Use this map to discover where we’re delivering affordable housing and improving the lives of people and their communities across the country.
Just click and drag to the part of the map you want to look at. Then zoom in and click the icons for details of our homes, community centres, developments and regeneration programmes.
2021-22 land deals
In 2021-22 there were a number of deals and developments with land that we’ve purchased, such as:
- Former Boddingtons brewery site to become 400-home housing scheme on the edge of Manchester
- Latimer’s Manchester growth continues with acquisition of city centre site targeting 50% shared ownership scheme
- Latimer and Countryside given reserved matters approval for Phase 2 at Ashmere, Ebbsfleet Garden City
- Latimer appoints contractor as work on site begins at iconic Cocoa Works development in York
- New social housing development in Swannington welcomes first residents
Tendring Colchester Borders Garden Community
Latimer is acting as master developer to deliver land for up to 9,000 new homes, 30% of which will be affordable. The proposed development will be on a site of more than 1,000 acres in East Colchester.
We’re working alongside our partner Mersea Homes, Colchester Borough Council, Tendring District Council and Essex County Council to make these ambitious plans become a reality.
Some of our other key developments include:
- A joint venture with Countryside Properties to provide up to 2,600 homes in Ebbsfleet Garden City, Kent. The £900m development in the new village of Ashmere, scheduled for completion in 2033, is one of the UK’s biggest residential housing schemes.
- A £400m development at Collingtree, near Northampton, will see 1,000 homes built in a joint venture with the Vistry Group.
- At Sherford, a new town being created near Plymouth, we plan to build 1,500 homes in a joint venture with Bovis Homes.
- In Leeds, we’re working with the council on the regeneration of a 13-acre brownfield site on Kirkstall Road, where we plan to build more than 1,500 homes.
- In November 2020 we bought an 11-acre brownfield site next to our development at The Cocoa Works, the former Rowntree factory in York. This will be the location for a new residential scheme, called Cocoa West. It will contain low emission and future-proofed homes set within attractive landscaping. Subject to planning permission, work is expected to start in 2022.
Are you looking to sell land?
We’re always looking for land that we can use for new homes. We’re interested in land that will deliver more than 100 new homes, either with or without planning consent. This includes opportunities to promote land through the planning system.
If you’re looking for a buyer that can move quickly, is fully funded, and can deal with any affordable housing requirements in one place, please get in touch with us.